Double Dapple Dachshunds – The Genetic Risk

by BloodhoundNDots on 26 June 2011

in the Health section of The Anipal Times

Ronan Double Dapple Dachshund

Ronan - Deaf and blind in one eye double dapple dachshund. Notice the unsymmetrical markings, one ear white with dappling and one solid black ear. A puppy mill survivor rescued by my mom's daughter Jenay C.

Dappling is a coat pattern found in the Dachshund dog breed. This dappling is also called merle in other dog breeds such as the Collie, Great Dane and Australian Shepherd. This dappling pattern is a splotchy multi-color pattern in the dog coat.  The dappling can be all over or in a very small area such as an ear or spot on the chest. Dappling is genetic and the results vary widely regardless of the mother or father’s coat. A very lightly dappled dachshund could produce heavily dappled, lightly dappled or even no dappled pups. However there is a very large risk in breeding two dapples together which will result in what we call double dapples.

Jackson - Vision impaired and mostly deaf. Can hear dogs barking and can see fairly well within a 2 foot range or so. He has microphthalmia and his pupils stay dilated and he is very sensitive to bright lights or flashing lights. Rescued by Kimberly Sharp a veterinarian technician in Virginia.

Double dapple is the result of both the mother and the father dog giving the pup a dapple gene. For example, the father dog gives the pup the gene first and dapples his back legs and tail, then the mother dog gives a dapple gene to the puppy’s entire body. Where the two dapple genes overlap results in solid white; the other areas that did not overlap genes result in spots which contain dappling. There are extreme risks in breeding dapples and a good breeder will not risk the health of their pups in this way.

The risks in breeding dapples include birth defects such as  blind, deaf or both and microphthalmia (an abnormally small eye). Sometimes this overlapping dapple gene can even cause missing eyes and/or ears. However, a double dapple puppy can be born with no deformities at all. Many believe that if the dog has blue eyes they are a double dapple. This is incorrect because some dapples have blue eyes and some double dapples do not have blue eyes. Because of the beautiful pattern of double dapples, some people take the risk of breeding the dogs because of the price for which they can sell the puppies. This is such a sad thing because many of the pups that are born with birth defects end up being killed, sent to shelters or sold to people unaware that the pup is blind/deaf. You can only hope that those that bought a double dapple and later find out they are blind/deaf will still love them and take care of them.

Many times double dapples are mistaken or sold as piebalds. Piebalds are a normal Dachshund color pattern with white. This pattern is usually, but not necessarily, symmetrical where a double dapple pattern is very jagged with undefined edges. In piebalds if they have a white sock the other paw will have a white sock, a black ear the other ear will be black. Also the spots on a piebald have no dappling at all. In the double dapple pattern the spots are dappled. For more in depth information on double dapples visit DORG.

Buffy - Piebald dachshund. Notice that both ears are black with no dappling. Markings are symmetrical. Rescued by DeeAnn Jones who is now Intake Coordinator for Furever Dachshund Rescue. Buffy was adopted and has a wonderful furever home in Florida.

However, there are dappled piebalds and double dapple piebalds! This can be very difficult to distinguish and may require genetic testing for confirmation of the coat. Lisa J. Emerson author of The Wienepedia:  Dachshund Coats, Colors, & Patterns discusses the intricate genetics involved in these coats in an article she wrote when I asked her about the specifics. In Lisa Emerson’s article she states, “It is a common myth that such-and-such parti pattern must look symmetrical, or that it must have four white feet, or that it must have a white tailtip, etc., or that a double dapple must have the same placement of white or that it must be completely asymmetrical.  The truth is, every dog is an individual, and where that individual’s particular pigment cells migrate or fail to migrate to on its body cannot be proficiently predicted.” Click Here to read Lisa’s article Dapples, partis, and mixes – oh my!! You can find more good information on genetics at Li’l DacsFinding homes for special needs dogs is very difficult and most end up euthanized. Yet owning and training a blind/deaf dog is really not any more difficult than a normal dog. It is known that normal dogs train best with hand signals and clickers rather than voice command. Blind dogs can easily be trained with clickers and hand touch. While deaf dogs utilize hand signals and sign language. If your dog is deaf and blind, hand touch and a vibration collar (not an e-collar) will work.

Squid a double dapple that is blind with microphthalmia. Rescued by Kimberly Sharp a veterinarian technician in Virginia.

If you are looking for a dog please consider adopting a special needs dog. Furever Dachshund Rescue can help you find a dachshund in need. My mom, Angela Craig, is Social Network Coordinator and DeeAnn Jones is Intake Coordinator for this new Dachshund rescue. Kimberly Sharp is well known throughout several rescues and specializes in rescuing double dapple and merle dogs with special needs. As Lisa Emerson states in her article, be careful when purchasing a so called piebald, dapple or double dapple from a breeder. Make sure they really understand the genetics and do not just breed to make big bucks at the cost of these gorgeous dogs. Better yet, contact a rescue and adopt! Too many times rescues find these dogs dumped at shelters by breeders and owners alike.

I would like to thank Lisa J. Emerson for her time in writing and sharing her article Dapples, partis, and mixes – oh my!! Also a big thanks to Kimberly Sharp, DeeAnn Jones and Jenay C. for sharing their furbaby photos.

Nadia a double dapple that is blind with microphthalmia. Rescued by Kimberly Sharp a veterinarian technician in Virginia.

Kira Double Dapple no birth defects

Bookmark and Share

{ 47 comments }

Tinypearlcat 26 June 2011 at 2:06 am

Had no idea there were so many designer colors. Have you seen a good pic of @autumnthedoxie she has a neat pattern and her little bro. Ma has met some leopard dogs that were def, they are spotted like these guys. She also saw a cream colored satin doxie with long hair. Neat article thanx

BloodhoundNDots 26 June 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh yes @autumndoxie is very perty! I jus love her! Furever Dachshund Rescue has a perty isabella and tan long hair with a cute little cropped tail named Stormy and a double dapple named Chester up for adoption. They are so perty! http://fureverdachshundrescue.rescuegroups.org/animals/browse?Page=1&Status=Available,Sponsorship

Autumnthedoxie 26 June 2011 at 11:27 am

It can be so confusing to distinguish between a dapple and a piebald. We thought my sisfur Pipe and I were dapples but have found out we’re actually piebald. It would be interesting to get a DNA test done. No matter what we are thank dog we are healthy. Thanks for saying I have a beautiful coat guys, Mummy gets asked about us a lot because of it.

mariodacat 26 June 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for the very inforrmative article. M says she never knew that before, so she had an education alreayd this morning.

@Skye613 28 June 2011 at 8:30 am

My Neo is a double. He was a breeder dump who would have been killed.Just the happiest boy around. Would not trade him for anything. Oh and yes he is deaf but that just paved the way for our Helen who is blind.

Jess 19 July 2011 at 2:32 pm

Breeding a double dapple is not a good idea! There are so many risks involved.

Andrea 28 July 2011 at 11:14 pm

My Jethro died at 11 months old thanks to his birth defects from double dapple breeding. He had a hole in his soft palate which led to the removal of his tonsils and eventually his little lungs collapsing. The beauty of the coat isn’t worth the suffering.

BloodhoundNDots 26 September 2011 at 9:25 pm

I am so sorry! It is terrible the things these beautiful little angels have to go through. Not to mention the heartbreak you had to endure with the loss of Jethro.

Bless your heart! Thank you for sharing story.

BloodhoundNdots

Shawn 17 September 2011 at 7:14 pm

THANK YOU so much for educating people! My husband and i fell head over heels in love with a puppy in a pets tore. We were supposed to be just killing time. We bought her on the spot and got on the internet to learn what we could about her when we got home. We were shocked to learn our money had supported such an irresponsible breeding practice. We knew we were buying a double dapple, but the sad reality that she probably had handicap siblings and all the risks of this Russian roulette breeding was difficult to swallow. I am happy to say that she seems to be healthy and is the best pet ever, but I feel very guilty about all the attention we get when we go out. I feel an obligation to tell everyone “you don’t want one”. We always said we would adopt a pet and never expected to make such a spontaneous purchase in a pet store, but we did. We no longer spend time in pet stores and vow only to adopt in the future.

BloodhoundNDots 26 September 2011 at 9:24 pm

I am so glad she found a loving family and that she has no physical handicaps! It is so important to me to get the information out there about double dapples, there are too many that find their ways into shelters or placed on Craigslist or worse.

If someone asks where they can get one, that is a good time to explain the genetic problems and then tell them if they want to help a double dapple in need to please contact any dachshund rescue. There are many that need homes and special needs dachshunds are very difficult to find furever homes for. So please urge them to seek a rescue if they really want to help a double dapple.

We would love to see a picture of your doxie. Visit me at Furever Dachshund Rescue FaceBook page

BloodhoundNdots

Dawn Ellis 20 September 2011 at 5:47 pm

I just adopted a 13 week old double dapple, from a local doxie rescue. He and his sister were both born blind, and have the tiny eyes. The stupid breeder was going to put them down until the rescue stepped in. Emma, the sister, had some sight, and have no problem finding a loving home. My Calvin is totally blind, and the rescue couldn’t find hom a home. I was hesitant at first, then I spent hours on the internet doing research. I brought him home yesterday, and he is the happiest, goofiest little guy. It breaks my heart that some stupid breeder thought about killing this loving little guy.

BloodhoundNDots 26 September 2011 at 9:17 pm

Bless your heart for adopting him! There are a lot of great sites out there and groups as well. The groups are fantastic for helping give advice of things that they have been through and training techniques.

We would love to see pictures of him on Furever Dachshund Rescue FaceBook page! You will have to share your story with us! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Furever-Dachshund-Rescue/144922675566850

So glad he found a loving home!

BloodhoundNdots

Melinda Haineault 19 October 2011 at 11:18 am

My husband and I recently adopted a Dachshund but are not sure what kind with her color pattern. It is very unusual. I was doing some research and she falls into a couple of categories. Is there a way to find out what kind she is with out the genetic testing? I would really like to know. She is a beautiful pup and in the short time that we have had her I have had many people ask me where they can get one like her. If she is a Double Dachshund I would like to tell them the risk and to consider adopting. Its such a joy knowing that we gave a home to a animal that did not have one. She was brought in with a litter, so I am not sure of the story for I found her on the internet and had a friend drive to pick her up. (she was to far for me to drive) If there is any info you can share I would appreciate it very much.

BloodhoundNDots 29 October 2011 at 10:09 am

Unfortunately genetic testing is the only true and accurate test. If you would like to share your dogs picture you can send me a link to the picture on Twitter. I am @BloodhoundNdots there. Although even in pictures it is difficult to discern the pattern. But maybe I can help.

Shawn 22 October 2011 at 11:41 pm

Thanks for educating! I’d like to add that this bad breeding causing birth defects is also in Great Danes as Harlequin, Australian Shepherds, etc. The latest breed I have seen coming out in dapple are Cocker Spaniels!!! People really need to know the details so they do not inadvertently support such unethical practices. Thanks again

Dana Harvey 28 October 2011 at 11:07 pm

I have a dachshund who had puppies and several of them are dapple, some even double-dapples. My concern is the one of puppies, the gray with black and a little brown on her front legs/face (I think referred to in other breeds as a Merle coloring) has issues with one of her eyes that I can’t find anything about online. In addition to part of one iris being a lighter color, when she goes out in bright sunlight, there appears to be light colored fluid inside her eye spreading from the iris discoloration area across her eye towards the pupil. Strangely enough, it disappears after when we go inside for a little while. Any advice or direction on where to GET advice about this is appreciated. I lost my job and can’t afford to take her to the vet yet.

BloodhoundNDots 29 October 2011 at 10:12 am

The only advice I can give you is to take this poor baby to the vet. Call around to find out pricing. Some vets in small communities are cheaper than larger metropolitan areas. This could be something other than just genetic and only a vet could advise you properly.

marks_nygirl 2 November 2011 at 3:50 pm

I just had to put my double dapple piebald down last week. Not because of any of his genetic issues but because he was 13 and a half.

He had no eyes, was profoundly deaf, slightly enlarged heart and the most fearless dog ever! Anywhere I ever took him people fell over themselves to pet him! They never immediately noticed his missing eyes. Training him was a piece of cake. I went straight tactile.

He was the love of my life and I desperately miss him.

The picture of Squid (midpage) stopped me dead in my tracks because he is almost the spitting image of my Gilead.

I would take another of these dogs in a heartbeat! Gilead was my heart’s joy!

marks_nygirl 2 November 2011 at 4:04 pm

Is Squid available for adoption?? (Is crossig fingers……)

BloodhoundNDots 6 November 2011 at 9:40 pm

No I am sorry squid is not available for adoption. Kimberly would not be able to part with her baby Squid.

However we have a few double dapples at Furever Dachshund Rescue http://www.fureverdachshundrescue.org and you could also contact DeeAnn at Intake@fureverdachshundrescue.org and ask her to let you know when Furever Dachshund rescues a special needs double dapple.

Jen 6 November 2011 at 9:03 pm

I just wanted to share my story of my double dapple, Eliza. I adopted her — as a Teacher of the Deaf, knowing she was deaf — from a HORRIBLE “rescue” organization. She was in heat, had leaves in her stool (that’s what she had been eating) and was a mess. After bringing her home we figured out she was visually impaired. When we 1st got her, to help her adjust to her new family (cats and dogs too), we put up a dog fence (1/2 living room), and she kept getting out and we had no idea how. Finally , after several “escapes” we watched her from the cornor of our eye with our backs to her, and she was CLIMBING up and out! Needless to say, that dog pen was returned to Petco… She was a wonderful dog and got LOTS of love. She want to the beach with us on vacation, and LOVED playing in the sand. She would bark at herself in the mirror (not realizing it was her). We were so excited to take her to our 1st Dachshund Fest in NYC. She wasn’t acting right, and we called the vet. From the check up, she was fine. She still wasn’t right, and we took her back to the vet the next day, who took blood, and looked at her more closely (this was a Sunday). Blood work came back normal, but she still wasn’t right, and my vet trusted me, so he had me bring her back on Monday to see the practice owner (older vet with more experience), still nothing they could figure out but we knew something was wrong. That night, Monday (technically it was 1:30 AM, so it was Tuesday), she was “swimming” but not able to stand, whimpering and not really responding. We called vet (on call 24/7) and answering service put us directly through to vet — no waiting for call backs, etc — who said our baby Eliza was seizing. We rushed her to the ER of Animal Medical Center (NYC’s most advanced and specialized animal hospital). She was admitted to the ICU and put on the Neurology Service (I said it was specialized — Neurologist for pets). She had an MRI, and had encephalopathy (brain swelling). We put her on special chemo medication, which would hopefully reduce the swelling and everything else that was suggested . She lasted 36 hours and only stopped seizing due to the medications, she never regained “consciousness”. We got the call Thursday at 8:30 AM she had stopped breathing, did we want her rescuitated? I said to try to keep her alive until I got there (AM rush hour in NYC!). She rallied and was breathing on her own. We stayed with her, and since she was stable, the Neurologist said we should come back later (ICU had limited visiting) but I wanted to stay. We decided no more rescuitation. As we were deciding whether to leave to get lunch, the Neurologist said we should come back to her now, she was having trouble breathing again. They brought her to a private room, discoonected her from all the machines and I just held her and stroked her wrapped in a blanket we brought from home (that stayed with her in her ICU bed while she was there), and cried. I talked to her even though she was deaf (I signed to her normally). I think she knew we were with her. We gave permission for the Neurologist to do a necropsy (autopsy for animals) in hopes they could prevent another dog from going through what Eliza did, and spare another family from experiencing what we did. The results were all based on some irresponsible breeder. I am blessed she was a part of my life, but I miss her terribly. She was 2 1/2 years old. I am sorry for the typos, it’s hard to type through tears… Thanks for listening.

BloodhoundNDots 6 November 2011 at 10:01 pm

This story just breaks my heart. Did they ever find out what caused her illness? My heart goes out to you and your family.

It is also sad to know that there is a rescue out there that would treat a dog as you stated. I hope others learn from your story and adopt from a reputable rescue that completely vets and spays/neuters each dog before adopting them out. It is so important that a rescue make sure a dog is healthy. The majority of the time a dog taken in by a rescue has health issues that must be taken care of.

We would love to have you join us at http://fureverdachshundrescue.freeforums.org/ a place where you can talk to other dachshund owners and share stories and help one another. There is also a Rainbow Bridge page where we can place a photo of Eliza and a short memorial if you are interested http://www.fureverdachshundrescue.org/animals/rainbowbridge .

I am so sorry for your loss. Huggzzzzz

Dana Harvey 7 November 2011 at 5:53 pm

Jen,

I am so sorry for what you had to go through with your dog Eliza. Kudos to you for giving her the love and attention that she deserved!

Melody 7 November 2011 at 4:13 pm

Fascinating! Color genetics keep me totally enthralled, although my focus is usually on fancy domestic fish color genetics. I must also mention your article’s models – they’re stunning! :-)

Rumpy Drummond 24 November 2011 at 8:41 am

Great article. It is simply irresponsible to breed dapples together in this way. And yet it keeps happening. *sigh*

rowan simpson 2 December 2011 at 4:27 pm

hi iam in new zealand and have just bought a double dabble dashound puppy. she was the only dabble in the litter she has blue eyes and so cute . told that she be one of very few in new zealand. the breeder i got her from wants to breed from her , iam not to sure about this.

BloodhoundNDots 2 December 2011 at 4:37 pm

I beg of you not to allow breeding. Please have her spayed. The risk is too high for the possibility of severe genetic problems with any offspring. I am sure you are aware of that after having read this article. Love and cherish this sweet double dapple and I hope she has no problems like possible blindness or deafness.

Jen S 7 December 2011 at 6:11 pm

We were given this adorable 9 week old “piebald” mini from someone who just couldn’t spend enough time with her. We know now she is a dapple, maybe a double dapple. Seems like a mostly healthy (has teeth/mouth issues) curious, happy little addition to our family. I can only hope she doesn’t develop any of the issue I have read about. She sees and hears well (selectively) so far.

Jolanda v.d. Helm 11 January 2012 at 5:17 pm

Four years ago we bought a double dapple dashound.We thought she was very special.
As soon as we got her at home ,we found out she was deaf and couldn’t see properly.She is not blind,but she only can see nearby.At first we wanted to take her back,but the man who sold her to us was not so nice anymore and didn’t want her back.So we decided to keep her.
We didn’t regret it .Despite her handicap,she is a really lovely dog.We all love her a lot.

John Sturgess 11 January 2012 at 10:29 pm

With double dapples, what are the odds or percentages that if they are born healthy / normal, full hearing and full eye sight that they will develop issues as they age , I have a 3 yr old I adopted and he shows no issues, just want to be alert and cautious just in case things change. Is it more prevalent to loose eye sight or hearing, If hearing I can teach more hand signals why he is 100 %

Thoughts suggestions or links would be helpful

John

Jenay C 10 April 2012 at 8:37 pm

I have a double dapple that was born healthy and is pictured in the article above. Her name is Kira and she will be 7 this year. She is showing no signs of blindness or deafness. I was worried about the same issues you mention and had a baseline checkup on her eyes when I took my other double dapple in for his first eye exam last year (Ronan is pictured in the article also). He is deaf and partially blind. The vet told me that Kira’s eyes are healthy and there are no signs that she would go blind any sooner than any other dog. I would recommend getting a baseline examination if you are worried and can afford to.

Tânia B. 26 January 2012 at 11:01 am

Less than a month ago I bought a long haired, blue eyed double dapple from a very respected breeder, after much researching about dachshund breeders in my state. I payed for her the same price he was charging for the solid color dachshies, so it was not a matter of profit. Ignorance maybe?
A few days later, I found out about the double dapple issues, I had no idea! So I got my puppy tested. Apparently she has no birth defects, but she will be spayed when she reaches the right age, so there are no risks of puppies with those problems. But even if she had any defects I would still love her and care for her as much as I do now. And so would my other dachshund, a smooth red 10 months old who is best friends with her now.

Sherry Caldwell 29 January 2012 at 5:52 pm

We adopted a male longhaired ? double dapple from our SPCA. Our vet thinks he is only 2 yrs. old. He is red and white with one blue ‘smaller’ eye and one eye that looks to be multicolored. We think he is deaf but was not told that at the SPCA. He has adjusted well to our home and loves people but not dogs! He is only 11 lbs and healthy otherwise. We have been dachshundless for 12 yrs and decided to take our chances with a new one. Wish us luck.

Jessica 20 February 2012 at 4:01 am

Thank you for your helpful artical, It made me think twice about breeding my dapple with another dapple. I love her very much, but it would be hard to see her puppies come out with health problems. God bless you for taking care of the puppies and giving them a second chance in life.

katie 21 February 2012 at 3:19 am

I’m a dog groomer and adopted my first doxie 4 years ago. She is a piebald and is perfectly healthy. I too was unaware of anything other than black&tan or red doxies so I researched the coat patterns of the breed. A few years later an owner brought in her double dapple puppy for a bath and brought him. Back a few months later trying to get rid of him because she didn’t know when she bought him that he was deaf and pertially blind, I took him immediatly. He was immediatly neutered and is the funniest, sweetest, most eccentric dog ever. Too bad these breeders aren’t locked up. Everyone should adopt, its sad most people don’t know any better than to buy from breeders/mills!

crystal 22 February 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi I was at the local fleamartket and came across a litter of double dapple puppies. There was a couple looking at the little female and talking about how much money they could make breeding her. It made me sick to think thats all they were looking at. And then they walked away to see if they coud find someone to loan them money to buy her. Well she’s asleep on my lap and will never be a mom. I had no idea how bad it was until i started to research her color and found out all this info. She’s healthy so far at 13wks. I have a great vet that will keep a close eye on her health. My heart goes out to those babies who got caught in the money game. Shame on those people.

Mike E 23 February 2012 at 3:18 pm

We adopted Moses (a standard red/white double dapple – blue eyes) from Tulsa SPCA when he was 5 months old. They took great care of him, but had no idea of the a few of the personality characteristics of a double, and labeled him as a ‘special needs dog.’ Moses can see and hear just fine. He is sensitive to sunlight across spots on his chest and small spot on his nose that completely lacks pigment. His paws and toenails are mixed / some have pigment, some have none.

Moses was an extremely underconfident dog around people as a 5 month old puppy at the SPCA. Would BARELY approach anyone, and only if they reqached out with a treat and would not look at him directly. Around other dogs, they labeled him as ‘possessive with toys and food.’

It amazed my children and me how much of a different dog Moses was even simply getting in the car for the first time for the ride home. “My goodness, he’s giving me kisses !”, my daughter exclaimed. Presley, (at the time, my 9-year-old male mini black/tan dapple male – now 12 years of age), got along with Moses just fine. He ‘showed Moses the ropes’ as far as daily routines, house-training, feeding, using the steps up and down on the beds, etc.

Moses was fairly possessive of toys at first, but never with food. He needed a LOT of socialization at soccer games and such with new people in order to learn to trust and be friendly with those he meets, but it took about 8 or 9 months of simple routine for him to trust all people completely. Moses is now almost 4 years old, and is still a complete puppy in spirit – INSANELY cute. He is still a bit underconfident when it comes to attention – he tends to hog and bull in when Presley is getting his lovin’ – and he still wags his tail in submission when scolded or unsure of a situation – but I certainly feel that the tail-wag in uncertainty is so much better than the tail tucked under in fear.

I suppose in summary, please don’t be afraid of adopting a dog labeled as a ‘special-needs dog.’ Moses is a HUGE blessing every single day to our family, and he brings SO much more joy (and humor!) than we could ever give back to him in 3 lifetimes !

Mike E 23 February 2012 at 3:20 pm

Moses, by the way, was the last of a litter that was taken from some breeders who were not using safe or sanitary practices.

Incredible dog.

Jenna 3 April 2012 at 1:44 pm

I have a little doube dapple named Patriot who truly is the light of my life. He is completely deaf and somewhat vision impaired but he doesn’t seem to notice. He is the sweetest dog I have ever met. He has no idea he is any different than any other dog.

I got him when his mother (a dapple of course) was thrown over my friend’s back fence, very pregnant with him. She has a dachshund herself and a few other small dogs so I think they just figured she likes small dogs and would care for her. She called me that day and asked if I knew anyone that wanted a dachshund and, oh by the way, I think she is pregnant. Well, I happen to be a veterinary technician so I took her in to work with me to have her looked at. After doing an ultrasound and an x-ray we discovered that she was in fact pregnant with one very large puppy, was actually already in labor, and would probably need a C-Section to remove the baby because he was so big. Everyone at the clinic fell in love with her so the doctor offered to do the surgery for free. We had no idea what kind of dog she had been bred with so we were shocked when she pulled the puppy out and he was a purebred double dapple dachshund puppy.

She was so sick from her time at God knows where, before my friend got her that she had to be hospitalized for 10 days and I had to bottle feed puppy until she was strong enough to start producing a good amount of milk for him.

Of course what started as me fostering them became me adopting them, and now my “two for the price of one” doggies are not going anywhere!!!

Working at a vet clinic I was made fun of for not having a dog but they always say “you dont get the dog you want, you get the dog you need” and its definitely true with Patriot and Liberty. I had never had dachshunds before. They werent even on my radar for prospective breeds that I might want some day, but I couldnt imagine my life without them.

Deb Runyan 9 April 2012 at 11:52 pm

I fostered and then adopted a little double dapple boy – Wally. He is totally deaf and mostly blind, he has about 10% vision in one eye. He is a joy..fiesty and the absolute ruler of the house at a whopping 8 lbs. I fostered another double dapple, his vision was even worse than Wally’s, but he could hear. He too was a joy to be around, and I’ve stayed in touch with the woman that adopted him. Both of these dogs are fabulous little guys, when the time is right, I will adopt another double dapple with special needs. They are precious.

Sheila 10 April 2012 at 12:19 am

I have a question more than comment, even though I don’t plan on breeding my dapple. My question is how do solid doxie produce a dapple and if I were to breed her how would I prevent getting a double dapple.

lisa g 10 April 2012 at 11:31 am

i had a beautiful double dapple piebald we named duke. he was almost completely deaf and he had floating pupils so he couldnt focus well on objects which made him jumpy and nervous. he never bit anyone but i was always scared he would. when he was nine months old he started to have seisures. at first they were very short, lasted for less then a minute and then after a nap he’d be fine. but they got progressively worse. and when he turned 2 i couldnt stand to watch him suffer anymore and i had him put to sleep.
i loved him soo much and really wish it hadnt had to be this way.
anyone thinking about breeding this mixture on purpose should really think twice.
the people i got duke from didnt knoe that there was a history of this breed in the blood of their dogs.

Elizabeth Preston 10 April 2012 at 11:47 am

I was very fortunate to find my 14 year old long haired double dapple via North American Dachshund Rescue. He has one blind eye, and enlarged heart and some person cut his vocal cords. Thanks to a wonderful vet and tons of loving, Billy Blue Eyes is going strong.

sheila 10 April 2012 at 12:33 pm

So after looking into to it more, one of her parents were dapple and they coat just didn’t exhibit that normal pattern. I think it must have been her sire, he is a long red. We only had Lilly 2 month and I could imagine how hard it would be if she had health issues and ironically I almost got a double dapple without realizing it but by the time that we went to look at the puppies someone else had chosen the double dapple. Since Lilly is on the small side I am most liking get her spayed.

jennifer 10 April 2012 at 3:21 pm

i guess i got very lucky reading all this. i have a 10 yr old long haired double dapple with no health issues.

Sharon 11 May 2012 at 12:48 pm

We had never really heard of double dappling when we met our “Ram”. A couple that volunteers and fosters dogs for our local humane society saw this baby at the shelter and brought him to their home to care for him and fatten him up a bit. My friend brought him to work with him one day and my husband and I fell in love at first sight. Ram cannot see, but it doesn’t seem to slow him down at all. He is the happiest little dog, he is 2 1/2 years old and just love to play with his toys. Needless to say we went through all the necessary steps and adopted him very quickly. He joined our family just this week and we already had three other dogs at home and they have taken to him extremely well. They “mother” him and take good care of him. He sleeps right next to me curled up in a little ball. He loves to cuddle! We are so happy we were able to get Ram and look forward to spoiling this special baby for the rest of his life. I feel sorry for the people that just think of money when they are so irresponsible to cross breed these dogs without caring what it does to the dogs themselves. What goes around comes around! Hopefully it will come back to them tenfold…

Vicki Middlebrook 24 June 2012 at 2:27 am

I’ve had Teeny, my double dapple male, for 9 yrs. Got him from a pet shop and as it turned out, he was deaf. He’s a wonderful dog, very loving. Recently I acquired a friend for him, a spayed female double dapple named Pinky. She’s also a wonderful dog, and is a bit larger than Teeny, but the markings are VERY similar. Pinky is a barker, and Teeny whines a lot. I have so much fun with them, and have had people ask me to breed Teeny with their double dapple, and I have refused, due to the genetic problems. I certainly don’t want to take ANY chance of producing blind or deaf puppies, no matter how pretty the coat is.

Comments on this entry are closed.

About The Anipal Times   |   Publisher @georgetheduck   |   Editor-in-Chief @brutusthedane